The Next Chapter

Our family's adventures in seminary, and other things I like to talk about...

Friday, November 28, 2008

Girl's Night Out

I hope you all had a good Thanksgiving. We got the whole week off school, so it has been very relaxing. The only glitch was throwing out my back by bringing the 20 lb turkey into the house. That put a damper on things. But I’m on the mend. A highlight for the week was a Girl’s Night Out involving 9 teenage(ish) girls, one (smart) teenage boy, three moms, one little brother, and the movie, Twilight.

I’ve never been interested in or supportive of vampires but decided to read the book after my older girls started talking about it. I was pleasantly surprised that the book is squeaky clean aside from a bit of violence involving the “bad” vampires. It is written by a Mormon. Enough said. So the “good” vampires don’t drink human blood. They hunt animals instead and call themselves vegetarians. One thing I like about these books is that they are based on classic literature. Twilight is a bit like Pride and Prejudice and a bit like Romeo and Juliet. The basic plot is that a vampire and a human fall in love. It is very much a love story. I don’t want to spoil anything for those who haven’t read them yet. I will just say that nothing immoral happens in the series. The fourth book doesn’t hold back in the bedroom, but since the characters involved are married, I have no problem with it.

In short, the Twilight series is not a deep, soul searching read, however it has many redeeming qualities especially when compared to other fare aimed at the teenage crowd.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home